Elisa Horton, LMFT, LMHC, NCC
- Some of training includes but is not limited to: Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy - learn more here (2 day Intro taken in 11/2014, 4 day Externship taken 5/20-24/15, EFT Core Skills Training weekends taken 6/26/2015, 8/2015, 10/2015, 1/2016, and 3/2016), 2 day training Facing the Dragon Together - using EFT to Treat Traumatized Couples (5/2016), 2 day training in Emotionally Focused Family Therapy (EFFT 2/2017), assisting at a 4 day EFT Externship as a helper (8/2016), assisting at Core Skills as a helper 1/2017-8/2017), and still recieving current supervision towards EFT certification (coming soon);
- Gottman’s Couple Therapy Level I (2012) & Level II (2013);
- Flexible CBT (2012);
- Basic, Intermediate and Advanced Clinical Hypnosis (2006/2007, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, & 2017);
- PREP®: The Prevention & Relationship Enhancement Program (certified 2008);
- Levels 1 & 2 of Rapid Trauma Resolution (2006/2007);
- Critical Incident Stress Debriefing/CISD(2006);
- Red Cross Disaster Response Training/ Psychological First Aid (2006)
- and more...
I truly enjoy the learning/CEUs and advancing myself professionally. My training hours consitently have exceeded the amount needed for my LMFT, LMHC, and NCC credentials. I am engaged locally in 2 professional peer groups that both meet once a month and am regularly engaged in paid supervision from master therapist as I enjoy learning all I can in order to better serve my clients.
My experience goes back long before I ever received a degree as a therapist. I began working at an adolescent treatment facility as paraprofessional staff member starting at the age of 17. That facility addressed addiction and behavioral issues in a semi-residential setting.
I have since graduated from the University of Florida with a Bachelors in Psychology, a Masters in Counselor Education in the track of Mental Health Counseling, and a Specialist Degree in Counselor Education in the track of Marriage and Family Therapy. During my graduate program, I interned at several facilities: a domestic violence shelter for women and their families, a psychiatric hospital where I rotated between all floors (acute, children’s, adult dual diagnosis, and adult addictions unit), and a counseling center that worked with children at schools and at home with their families.
My post-graduate work has included: in-home therapy with children being fostered with relatives; office-based therapy with families undergoing separation and divorce; office based work working with children, teens and their families on a variety of issues; and bereavement counseling with adults and teens. Currently, I conduct in-office counseling for individuals, couples, and families working on a variety of issues.
During many of these experiences, I have had the privilege of working with individuals, couples, families, groups, and of conducting presentations in the community on various topics of interest. It has been my pleasure to work with people of many different ages, genders, cultures, ethnicities, religions, and sexual orientations.
My private practice is a work of love for what I do and all that I am becoming. I am grateful to be involved with many other helping professionals who grace me with their strength and knowledge and whom help me along the way to realize my dreams and potential. I participate voluntarily in paid clinical supervision that I obtain from a master licensed therapist on an as needed basis to ensure that I am at my best. I also participate in peer group on a regular basis to further ensure that I am at my best and offering my wisdom to others in the field. I am also involved in professional organizations and attend as many trainings as I possibly can as I believe staying current and staying stimulated is important.
I feel fortunate to have gained such varied experiences, and appreciate how these experiences have given me a wider range of knowledge.
You can access my license as a Marriage and Family Therapist and Mental Health Counselor at:
Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist
Licensed Mental Health Counselor
I am proud to have earned the credential of Nationally Certified Counselor www.nbcc.org.
I am a member of The International Center for Excellence in Emotionally Focused Therapy .
I am also a clinical member of the American Association of Marriage and Family Therapist.
I am an active member of the Florida Society for Clinical Hypnosis.
When I lived and worked in Pinellas County, Fl, I was an active member of the Tampa Bay Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (2011-2012) and the Suncoast Mental Health Counselors Association (2008-2012, board member 2008-2011). Unfortunately, the Treasure Coast does not have any recognized professional counselor associations of any kind - I am hoping that will change soon.
Also check me out on Psychology Today.